Monday, February 14, 2011

Could wearing earphones cost you money?

    A man in New York was hit by a mack truck and drug 30 feet all because he was listening to an i pod and couldn't hear the trucks beeping in reverse. Researchers have been trying to figure out why pedestrians fatalities have gone up for the first time in 4 years, but they are seeming to think that it's all because of handheld electronic devices. So states all over are starting to consider banning things like cell phone use when crossing the street or, no use at all [same with i pods]. Oregon already wants to start fining people $90 for wearing their headphones while on a bike, where as Virginia wants to ban electronic usage all together.


  http://news.cnet.com/8301-27083_3-20029623-247.html?tag=mncol;txt

Personally, I don't think that pedestrian fatalities are all to blame on electronic devices. Take for example, when I went bowling this weekend their was a girl sooo attached to her phone she actually was bowling with one hand, and talking on her phone in the other. Not everyone is like that though, I know plenty of people who have no problem waiting a couple minutes to check their texts or talk to someone on the phone. I don't think it's cell phones or i pods fault I think it's ultimately up to the person, if you get hit by a car because you just can't leave your cell phone alone while crossing the street that's your fault and as far as i pod's keep one ear out and you'll be fine. Or maybe look both ways like we were taught in kindergarten but don't try to ban electronics because of peoples stupidity. What do you guys think?

7 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL! I love it. The girl bowling story is great. You paint a great picture-you should think about being a writer - I hear nurses only work 3 days...that leaves 4 days open :)

    Anyway...there may be something to this. Hearing loss has went up 75% in the last 10 years and that has to be due to listening music loudly.

    I think people should follow your advice-Look both ways :) and having the devise in only one ear would prevent a lot of casualties.

    Also, I must add that turing down the volume will keep Miracle Ear out of your future. If WE can hear your music...you won't be able to for too much longer. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally agree with you, Katie. It is not the fault of the device, but the fault of the person.

    Personally,ask that person "why were you wearing your headphones while a truck was backing up?"

    ReplyDelete
  4. this makes me mad like really its nout the device it is the person

    ReplyDelete
  5. agreed peple should know better.
    and personnally i think those polititions trying to get electronics banned can go to HELL
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yea I agree too, they shouldnt ban cell phone/Ipod use cause people are stupid. Like the lady who is sewing the mall(cant remember where) for putting a fountain in the middle of the mall with no hand rails to catch yourself if you fall in like she did cause she was texting and not looking where she was going and walked right in to it. lol pretty funny though.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree that they shouldnt ban electronics just because some people are stupid

    ReplyDelete